Saturday, February 2, 2008

Friday Night Goodies (Sort Of)

(So I'm a dumbass and posted this entry last night and botched the links to the songs. In the interest of getting picked up the Hype Machine, I deleted the entry and am reposting now with the actual links)

Once again, not much of note on the Top 40. "No One" is still at #1, beyond my comprehension, "Clumsy", "Low", and "Tattoo" are still nipping at its heels, but not doing enough, and the only new songs aren't terribly exciting (except for the new Daughtry song). Perhaps better luck next week.

I have to confess, I may have committed a nearly indefensible sin. I brought "He Said She Said" by Ashley Tisdale onto my hard drive. At the time I did it this didn't seem awful, just another example of my off-the-wall fascination with pop music. It wasn't till nearly a week later that I realized that Ashley Tisdale was cast member in High School Musical. I thus enabled Disney's sorry excuse for a record label AND annoying 12-year-olds everywhere. The file is still on my hard drive, but everytime I listen to it, I play something infinitely better both before and after it as penance. In the interest of not parading around this transgression, I will NOT post the song.

Earlier this week Panic At The Disco (they dropped the exclamation point from their name, perhaps The Disco has restored some order? Is it now just a mild concern?) released the first single from their new album Pretty.Odd. Regardless of the absurd punctuation in the album title, lead single "Nine in the Afternoon" is actually a pretty cool song. Panic has chilled out a bit, and the blatant Fall Out Boy worship is gone, but that carnival-esque style that set them apart in the first place is still present. At first listen it doesn't pack the same punch that anything on A Fever You Can't Sweat Out did, but regardless, it still commands a listen. Pretty.Odd. drops March 25th, and is available (along with "Nine in the Afternoon") on iTunes.

Panic at the Disco - Nine in the Afternoon [iTunes]

I've only scratched the surface of the 300+ songs I mentioned in the last post, but I'm already finding things I like and things that need work. For the record, with a few exceptions, Eric Clapton was better in a band than he ever was solo. I also truly like the Gin Blossoms, even though I've only heard a couple of songs.


That's it for now. Back later this weekend with reviews and stuff.

Currently Listening: John Mayer - The Heart Of Life [iTunes]
(listening to this album...my reaction coming this weekend)

==TJ==

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog and love it. Thank you for all the great posts!