Want to clarify something I said in the last post that garnered some comments:
I don't believe that Blink 182 is my generation's The Police in terms of their talent or quality of music. Naturally The Police are a significantly better band. I meant that it seemed like the careers of Blink and The Police are strikingly similar. Both bands exploded rather unexpectedly and developed a rabid fan base. Over the course of their respective tenures, both bands grew and reached out in directions that listeners didn't expect, culminating in records that totally changed the way in which people viewed the band (Synchronicity and Blink 182). Both bands then came undone in a very public manner resulting in a seemingly irreconcilable breakup. The biggest difference is that Sting was actually able to have a successful career without The Police, while +44 and AvA demonstrated that Blink was only as good as the sum of its parts.
Hope that clears it up. I don't know what (if any) band matches The Police's success and talent in my generation. Part of what made The Police so huge was their worldwide appeal. I don't think any band has acheived that AND had the raw talent to back it up. *Nsync, maybe (with Timberlake in the role of Sting), but the comparison is still very flawed. That gives you a sense of what I was trying to say though.
This week is looking like review week here at VLM. In the next few days you'll get reviews of new albums by:
Guns N Roses (expect this one in the next few hours)
Kanye West
Scott Weiland
Britney Spears
and perhaps a surprise or two if the Gods of Music and Blogging deem it so.
[tangent: Is there a God of Blogging? If so, think he's got a blog? I feel like that blog would be like the ultimate LiveJournal, where said God just rants and raves about all the crazed keyboard-wielding lunatics and the ideas they insist on making public. /tangent]
==TJ==

No comments:
Post a Comment