No, I'm not dead. Just been tied up with work and school and the like.
I've been listening to a lot of really chill, acoustic-y type stuff. And since I'm behind on my reviews I think I'll burn some time talking about what I've been listening to. I don't like doing long reviews unless its something big, so these'll be short.
I think just about everyone has heard Matt Nathanson's version of the early '90s hit "Laid", but for some reason he hasn't had much big-time success elsewhere. A few weeks ago he released Some Mad Hope, his sixth studio release. This album might be his best shot at commercial success, led by tracks like "Come On Get Higher", a track well in the running for makeout song of the year, and the leadoff anthem "Car Crash". But outside of these are smooth, chill pop-rock that his fans have come to love. It's not glitzy and you may not remember every song, but its a great cohesive set of tracks that create a decent album.
Ruling on the Field: 6.5/10
Highlight Reel: Come On Get Higher
Matt Nathanson on iTunes
For the past few months I've had "Life Less Ordinary" and "What About Everything?" by Carbon Leaf on my iPod, and both songs got airplay on the old radio show. I finally got around to hearing the album Indian Summer. It's got a bit more spine to it than Matt Nathanson, and it has the tendency to wreak of Matchbox 20, but no one ever said it was crime to write one hell of a hook. Tracks like "One Prarie Outpost" and the Irish-jig-meets-pop-rock meld of "This is My Song" show far more musicianship and inspiration than most anything Rob Thomas has done recently.
Ruling on the Field: 7/10
Highlight Reel: What About Everything?
Carbon Leaf on iTunes
I've mentioned Secondhand Serenade on this blog in the past, but i never did a real review of them. If Chris Carabba were to overdose on Prozac, it would come out sounding like John Vesely, aka Secondhand Serenade. His debut album Awake is made up entirely of songs he wrote for his wife. He's got all the ingredients of an early Dashboard Confessional, but he's also got an absurd amount of harmony in every song, and has already begun to explore a fuller sound with the bonus track "Stay Close, Don't Go". Secondhand Serenade is for all the people who miss acoustic Dashboard or are tired of hearing about unrequited love.
Ruling on the Field: 9/10
Highlight Reel: Maybe; Stay Close, Don't Go
Secondhand Serenade on iTunes
Dude named Brandon Heath had a concert at Arcadia last year. At the time he was starting to find some radio play in the south, but nothing huge. I wrote him off when he came to campus, but finally snagged a copy of his album last week. It opens with two incredible country-rock songs in "Steady Now" and "Simple Man", and the title track "Don't Get Comfortable" shows what he's capable of, but the rest of the album falls flatter, with fewer memorable songs.
Ruling on the Field: 5/10
Highlight Reel: Steady Now
Brandon Heath on iTunes
Finally, last week Las Vegas singer/songwriter Nick Motil played a set here on campus, and his most recent release One of These Days is another example of what good solo artist albums should sound like; simple, unassuming, and just memorable enough to warrant repeated listens. Nothing pretentious or dull about it (looking at you, Ani Difranco and Jack Johnson).
Ruling on the Field: 7/10
Highlight Reel: One of These Days
Nick Motil on iTunes
That's all for now. More mp3s and info on the pending radio show will come in the next few weeks.
==TJ==
Wednesday, September 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment