Monday, December 10, 2007

Stuff I Heard This Weekend

That review of LCD Soundsystem is still coming. Till then, a small taste of stuff I heard over the last few days:

-I've heard it about a dozen times now (my girlfriend is big into ridiculous rap songs), and I still don't know how I feel about Flo Rida's "Low". It's got a "feat. T-Pain" in it, and T-Pain is more ubiquitous than Nickelback at this point. It's also featured on the soundtrack to the utterly unnecessary Step Up 2 the Streets, a movie with a name only slightly less ridiculous than 2 Fast 2 Furious. Furthermore the name Flo Rida is about on par with 50 Cent on the terrible rapper name scale. But at the same time, I can't help but think it's a damned fun song. Expect me to be singing it in my subconscious for awhile.

Flo Rida - Low

(Side note: If you have a group of friends that are REALLY good at making fun of (MST3K-ing, if you will) a movie, go ahead and rent Step Up. It might actually be an enjoyable experience with the right people/right amount of alcohol.

-I think I found the song that will replace "You're Beautiful" for straddling the line between annoying and cute for its simplicity; I give you Colbie Cailat's "Bubbly". It's got shades of James Blunt all over it, right down to the dialogue before the actual entrance to the song. And another thing; am I distorting the lyrics too much, or is she singing about having an orgasm?

Colbie Cailat - Bubbly

And on the offchance you hear a dance version of this with the drums boosted and a bit faster, just run in the other direction

-It's pretty much a scientific fact that I hate Fergie. The only Black Eyed Peas song I truly liked was "Where is the Love?", and after "My Humps", she just kinda made me want to cut my ears off whenever she came on the radio. "London Bridge", "Fergalicious", and "Glamorous" all displayed things I hated about hip-hop. I was at best indifferent toward "Big Girls Don't Cry"; lacked the annoying factor of her first singles, but I always felt that it sounded like she was trying to be Kelly Clarkson on that song. Then in the car I heard this remix with Sean Kingston (who never did anything for me one way or the other), and it was just enough to lure me in. My feelings toward both artists pretty much remain the same, but points for a nice remix/collaboration.

Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry [remix]

-Heard all of Cass Dillon's EP (as mentioned two entries back). Love it. Can't wait to hear what he comes out with in 2008.

Back tomorrow with that LCD review and other stuff.

==TJ==

No comments: