Following up my last entry; I just put in my order for the download of Radiohead's In Rainbows. I ended up paying 2.95 pounds, which is about 6 bucks. The download becomes available on Wednesday, and I'll try to have an update on it by week's end.
As promised, I played through Jimmy Eat World's Chase This Light over the past few days. Each of the last two full length Jimmy albums have taken several spins before I truly appreciate them. On both Jimmy Eat World (also known to most fans as Bleed American) and Futures, I'd hear some tracks that caught my ear and made me bounce around as I heard them, but then other tracks that sounded too tired and mellow and didn't really fit. As for Chase This Light, I've only played through it twice and I'm already on my way to loving it.
Jim Adkins and company open fire with the fast-paced, anthemic first single "Big Casino". From there it's 10 more trakcs showcasing what Jimmy Eat World has done best for nearly 10 years. There's the bouncy punk rock of "Electable (Give it Up)", the smoother, acoustic musings on the standout title track, and the upbeat head-bobbers of "Feeling Lucky" and the memorable closer "Dizzy". The slightly pretentious attempts at being long-winded and moody are gone on this album, and in its place is a rapid-fire, enjoyable 40 minutes of that grey area where punk, rock, and alternative converge.
I've always felt that the term 'emo' was misused when describing Jimmy Eat World. There's nothing overly brooding or self-loathing on Chase This Light. Quite the opposite; from "Big Casino"'s stellar leadoff the album is a celebration of friends, love, and everything life has to offer. And in a time when alt. rock is riddled with moody, power-chord driven lunkheads (See: Three Days Grace, Seether), Chase This Light is a breath of fresh air, and at the risk of typing a horrendous pun, a Vegas-sized neon light worth getting your hands on.
Ruling on the Field: 8.5/10
Highlight Reel: Big Casino, Chase This Light
In a slightly less wordy review, I downloaded the soundtrack to the musical Spring Awakening. If you haven't heard of it, it's written by Duncan Sheik, the guy who did that song "Barely Breathing" many years ago. It's got some definite Broadway-esque leanings to it, moreso than Rent but it's more pop-oriented than Wicked and a hell of a lot of fun. Even if you aren't a huge musical fan, give this one a shot before the inevitable movie comes out.
Ruling on the Field: 8/10
That's it. Remember to tune into radio.arcadia.edu tomorrow at 4 for the premiere of the Viva La Mainstream radio broadcast (bear in mind that due to some technical difficulties, you will only hear music from one speaker).
==TJ==
Monday, October 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Post a Comment