Earlier this week I FINALLY got to see Across the Universe, the Beatles tribute movie that was recommended to me by everyone from Pretty Much Amazing to my own brother. I had seen trailers for it and was on the fence. I love the Beatles and liked the idea, but thought the movie looked a bit too acid-trippy for my taste. But after a string of recommendations, I went to give it shot.
Holy crap. The movie was beyond incredible. From the very first song the movie is a fun, poignant ride. And the music? Absolutely amazing. Despite my usual dislike for Bono, his versions of "I Am The Walrus" and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" are surprisingly enjoyable. But by far the best moments belong to Jim Sturgess (as Jude) and Joe Anderson (Max) on songs like "With A Little Help From My Friends" and "I've Just Seen A Face". Virtually every performance in this movie is noteworthy, and the only number that misses is the utterly ridiculous "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" (remember that acid trip I was worried about? Yeah.). Even when the movie gets abstract and conceptual, it takes you along for the ride instead of wondering what the hell is happening. And of course the favorites ("Hey Jude", "All You Need is Love") are pulled off masterfully.
One of the best parts of this is the re-imagining of some songs. Envision a version of "I Want To Hold Your Hand" slowed down, and lounge-style, or perhaps a gospel twist on "Let it Be". Beatles purists will probably scoff at the idea, but it works, and it works well. My only complaints are the lack of tracks from Rubber Soul (the best Beatles album in my opinion), and the aforementioned over-the-top "Mr. Kite" sequence. If you can get a chance to see this before it leaves theatres, do so. Otherwise definitely a DVD pickup, and FOR GOD'S SAKE GET THE SOUNDTRACK!!!
Across the Universe - I Want to Hold Your Hand
Across the Universe - I've Just Seen A Face
Across the Universe - Hey Jude
Across the Universe Soundtrack on iTunes
And now it should be noted that I've uploaded all the Beatles music I have to iTunes and am listening to it now.
The Beatles - In My Life
The Beatles - Revolution
The Beatles on Amazon.com
==TJ==

No comments:
Post a Comment