Saturday, April 5, 2008

Weekend WTF: Shea Stadium (and VLM) To Get RickRolled??

Dear Major League Baseball Stadiums,

Look, I get it. Allowing fans to vote on what songs play during certain parts of a game is a way to let fans be more involved with their baseball team and feel like its more interactive...all that nice "we're in control" stuff. But for God's sake, can we please come up with some GOOD tracks for us to vote on? Both the Nationals and my beloved Mets are holding polls of this nature, and in both cases, the song options are just plain awful. The Mets pretty much resemble your local oldies station, for better and (mostly) for worse:

Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline (Way to steal from Fenway, boys)
Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl (Been there, done that)
Billy Joel - Movin' Out (Have we forgotten that Joel is a lifelong Yankees fan?)
Wilson Pickett - Land of 1000 Dances (I'll take cliches for 500, Alex)

Among others. So leave it to a couple of web dorks who double as Mets fans to suggest a better option. At this time there is a write-in campaign for everyone's favorite YouTube prank: Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up". Now I'm pretty new to the RickRoll phenomenon (the best ones I've seen involve a Star Wars Rune Goldberg and a promise of a Cloverfield trailer dating back to September), so it's still kinda funny to me, though I see why others would hate it. But given how out of touch the folks at Shea seem to be about music, I'm happily casting my vote for "Never Gonna Give You Up". Updates on this story if/when I find them.

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
[iTunes]


PS: Guns N Roses finally gives pre-order info about Chinese Democracy to iTunes:
Pre-order Chinese Democracy here


(Oh, C'mon, like you DIDN'T see that coming...)

==TJ==

3 comments:

Patrick Daniel O'Neill said...

If they're going to do Neil Diamond, a better choice for the Mets would be "Brooklyn Roads".

And if they want to go with NY-connected oldies, why not Joel's "New York State of Mind" or Simon & Garfunkel's "59th St. Bridge Song" (or even Simon's "Me and Julio...")?

For solid rockin' numbers, there's always "Twist 'n' Shout" (use the original by the Iseleys if the Beatles version is unavailable or too pricey).

Oh--and what's wrong with either "Center Field" or "Glory Days"?

TJ said...

Pretty sure they play "Twist N Shout" elsewhere during the game. Joel shouldn't be touched since he's a dedicated Yankee fan (It would be like the Yankees playing a Dropkick Murphys Song).

I have no issue with "Glory Days" (assuming you're referring to the Springsteen song), but that wasn't a choice, nor was "Center Field"

Advantage: RickRoll

Jill ONeill said...

I thought that the Mets management indicated that they were going to disregard the votes for Never Gonna' Give You Up. Which would be a pity if only because after this past week, everyone in the world knows the song...