Sunday, November 9, 2008

Third Eye Blind Not Making Lattes, Releasing New Music

So we're gonna try something new; every song I post is going to have a stream here. It means that until I figure out something better, nothing I post is going to the Hype Machine, but it's an acceptable loss for the time being. Intelligent users (using Firefox) will know to access the source code for the entry and can access the mp3 from there for downloading purposes. If someone knows a way for me to have my cake, eat it too, and NOT get beaten down by Blogger, I'd appreciate the input. Onto the entry...

Pop quiz everybody: Raise your hand if you thought Third Eye Blind had broken up and become baristas at Starbucks years ago. (Note that I'm raising my hand)

Yeah. We all fail.

Welikeit.indie posted a story early this morning announcing that 90's pop-rock also-rans Third Eye Blind are releasing an EP of the their first new music since 2003's Out of the Vein on November 18th. Red Star will be released as a digital-only package an as a teaser for the album Ursa Major, which is slated for a 2009 release. The album will be released on Third Eye Blind's own label imprint, an offshoot of the Sony/RED label.

The first track from this EP is entitled "Non-Dairy Creamer". It's a slightly quirky look at the general idiocy of life in 21st-century America, with bouncy guitars and Stephan Jenkins's smooth, albeit mostly forgettable voice, leading into a strange acoustic/electric drum segment in the last minute. It's not going to shock the music world too much, but new Third Eye Blind is totally OK by me.

Red Star is due out November 18.

Third Eye Blind - Non-Dairy Creamer



==TJ==

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up....I had the same thought about Third Eye Blind when a friend's band opened for them a couple of weeks ago.