There's been all kinds of hubbub centered around Mission: Metallica, the online experience related to the forthcoming new Metallica album. Today I caved and decided to join the free version of the site and report back on what they're offering.
First, let's get something straight; I find it moderately offensive when someone tries to charge me for access to a specific website. Making me pay money to see what you put up on a website (on an internet that I already pay money to access) is just greedy and criminal. So no, I have no intention of taking part in this Mission: Metallica Platinum section of the site. Paying 25 bucks for a couple more videos and MP3s on the midnight release date is not a good investment in my eyes.
First, the bad about the site. For starters, it doesn't appear to work in Firefox. I tried putting in my information, and the site just kinda looked at me funny. Not cool. For more on my feelings, I direct you to this image. I've already gone into the absurdity of the platinum bit, but I have one more thought on the midnight MP3 release; the album, which earlier today earned it's name Death Magnetic, is currently listed as being released in September. No exact date is given. So at present, Metallica wants me to shell out money to get MP3s of an album that has no firm release date as of yet and is still subject to delays, setbacks, and other unforeseen circumstances that would cause me to not receive what I paid for.
Right now all those folks who pre-ordered Chinese Democracy back in 1995 are having PTSD-level flashbacks. I rest my case.
On the other hand, Metallica is also offering up some pretty kickass stuff to those who can't afford the Platium pass. At present there are 3 full concerts available as torrents for download, with promises of more on the way, up to and including this past weekends Bonnaroo. Game on. The fly on the wall videos also show some pretty candid, if perhaps a bit uninteresting, footage. And what bits of music they let slip in this experience (Yes, remember, this is all meant to support a new album) actually sounds really damned good. From someone who's only owned one Metallica album in my life, I'm actually a little bit excited to hear the rest of Death Magnetic, even if it's the frontrunner for Worst Album Name of the Year.
Death Magnetic is out in September. Check out missionmetallica.com if you're so inclined.
==TJ==
Monday, June 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Your post got me laughing so hard. My boyfriend actually purchased the Platinum section of the site and we have constant battle about how stupid he was to do it. I argue pretty much every detail you just explained. But to be completely honest, when he's not in the room I go on and look at the videos. I mean, come on, he already spent the money. And since I have seen the videos first hand, a few are cool, but not worth paying for the site. I'm sure they'll be YouTube after the CD is released anyways.
Here is ALL the Mission Metallica photos [Making new record + vault photos].
05/27-09/12
http://rapidshare.com/files/145575707/Mission_Metallica__Pictures_.rar
Post a Comment