That's right...I added Britney Spears to the end of that list. And yes, I willingly listened to and paid attention to it nonetheless.
The Batshit Crazy One announced a new album, entitled Circus would be released by years end (date is sometime in December), and the lead single "Womanizer" made its radio debut earlier this week and quickly spread all over the interwebs. I think the best thing about "Womanizer" is the fact that for the first time in awhile you can hear a sense of enjoyment. Britney actually wanted to record this album. "Womanizer" sounds a lot like something that might've been on last year's Blackout, but again, with a bit more sincerity and commitment. While I wasn't enamored of Blackout, it's astonishing what happens when someone like Spears stops half-assing it and actually records something kinda fun. Listen for yourselves to the REAL version before a million remixes clog up the Hype Machine.
Britney Spears - Womanizer
(No, nobody forced me to type this)
The Killers, having wholeheartedly gotten their Springsteen on with 2006's Sam's Town, are coming back this November with Day and Age, produced by Stuart Price, alias Jacques Lu Cont, the guy who churns out surprisingly decent remixes of Killers tracks (google his version of "Mr. Brightside"). The song opens with the sort of 80s electronic feel that made Hot Fuss so loved, and that spacey, electronic sound is rampant for the whole track (perhaps a sign of what might be on the album?), but the lyrics, arguably what made Sam's Town at the very least a decent album, are right on that same vein. Having heard the track about a dozen times in the last week, I'd have to say "Human" ranks up alongside "Mr. Brightside" and "All These Things That I've Done" on the list of the best Killers songs. Day and Age is slated for release November 25th. "Human" is all over the interwebs now, and will see its official iTunes release this Tuesday.
The Killers - Human
I've already proclaimed my love for the new Snow Patrol single, but since Blogger pulled the post last time, "Take Back The City" is a great, driving rock song from Snow Patrol. The band said A Hundred Million Suns (out stateside on October 28th) will sound different from previous Snow Patrol albums, but "Take Back The City" sounds like pretty standard fare, and I still love it. So should you.
Snow Patrol - Take Back The City
Our worst fears my have been realized. David Cook's first single from his post-Idol debut album, "Light On" debuted on AOL last week and drops to iTunes this Tuesday. The track was written by Chris Cornell and a guy with ties to Hinder. Not worried too much yet, but the Hinder thing is a problem. Then I saw a picture they're using as publicity:
Bit problematic right? What happened to the guy who looked like he could do rock and roll? Truth is, I don't know. Because "Light On" is a serviceable track, but it lacks all the balls that Cook's Idol-performance material had. It sounds like average adult contemporary radio rock. Sure that means it'll sell millions of records, because its pretty safe and has Cook's name recognition on it, but guys like me who bought into the dude because he had some rock mentality are left a little cold. David Cook, you're now on notice; I'll still support you and hear the album, but please let this be a label ploy and let there be some real rock on the record. When I wrote this piece, I didn't want to be right.David Cook - Light On
So I was wandering around some of the seedier parts of the interwebs looking for some music, when something came across my screen claiming to be the new Oasis album. I dove on it, because it seemed like the right move, but until then I hadn't heard about a leak. I haven't heard the tracks yet (I have however confirmed I didn't get virused), but I'm wondering if any reader has heard or seen the same. I don't think Liam Gallagher is smart enough to pull a Death Cab or Ben Folds*, but you never know.
*Death Cab for Cutie and Ben Folds both leaked fake copies of their newest albums as a trick for fans.
Speaking of Ben Folds, heard his new album (the legit version) this weekend; expect a review tomorrow or Tuesday, as well as a review for Jack's Mannequin's new record.
==TJ==



No comments:
Post a Comment