I've been positively dreadful when it comes to posting things that I say I'm going to. This post is prime example. I promised a follow-up on a number of Under the Radar bands (as well as introducing a few new ones) some time ago, and this entry will at last make good on said promise. A week or two back I exchanged emails with the management of Drive A. The result was me receiving a small press package that included, among other goodies, a copy of Drive A's self titled debut.
Before I dip into a review of the album, I need to point out one thing. Lead singer Bruno Mascolo is 15 years old. 15 $&#@ing years old! I don't know of many 15 year olds with the motivation and talent to go out and find a job, let alone front a rock band of Drive A's caliber. Just keep that in mind while reading the next few paragraphs.
Drive A explode into the rock and roll universe by way of bands like Motley Crue, Guns N Roses, and Velvet Revolver, with a dash of modern punk rock. Think Sum 41 with the energy and musicianship of AC/DC. When they want to rock, they will melt your face off. Tracks like "Everyday" and "Alibi" are pure rock and roll the likes of which you haven't heard in the mainstream for years. As a frontman, Bruno Mascolo shows charisma beyond his years. Even when the band misses (as they almost do on "Broken Bones", which sounds a bit too much like an early Avril Lavigne track), I can't help but listen on anyway. And thank God for that, because Drive A regains its form just as quickly. I shit you not when I say Drive A has got more balls than most of rock radio right now. Members of Daughtry, Seether, Puddle of Mudd and Finger Eleven...watch carefully and start taking notes. There'll be a quiz on your next album.
[Tangent: I originally had David Cook in that last sentence, but then I recalled the stuff I heard from his old band Axium, and he was spared.]
Drive A takes their name from "when a musician strums the note A repeatedly and creates a wall of sound". In that case, I'd say their aptly named. And with a tour record that includes appearances with the reformed STP, Cheap Trick, Avenged Sevenfold, and on-the-record praise from everyone from Tommy Lee to Don Henley to the guy from Children of Bodom, it's only a matter of time before Drive A bring an ass-kicking back to rock 'n roll. They'll be selling platinum records before they're old enough to drink. All active rock bands...ye be warned.
Drive A is giving away their album FOR FREE on their website, listed below. In case you still don't believe me, I'll give you "Rule the World". But for frak's sake, go check out their MySpace and official site. You might find something you haven't heard for awhile. REAL rock music.
Drive A - Rule the World
Drive A MySpace
Drive A ROCKS
==TJ==

No comments:
Post a Comment