In a brilliantly wasteful usage of Arcadia's resources, I'm typing this article as I am at work in our library. Great success. Very rarely do you, my loyal readers, get a glimpse into my normal, non-blogging life, but at the moment, I feel I have a good sense for how music and my real life intertwine, so let this be a form of musical ramblings that give you a look into that life.
I'm writing a paper on the movie The Departed for my Intro to Film class. If you haven't seen it, drop whatever you're doing and go rent it right now. It's epically amazing. It also gives me a perfect reason to post this song.
Dropkick Murphys - I'm Shipping Up To Boston [iTunes]
I also find myself speaking in a moderately decent South Boston accent shortly after watching that movie, which is entertaining to everyone except my buddy Peter, who actually is from Boston, so he just kinda groans.
Meanwhile, my roommate RJ got hold of my copy of the first two seasons of Smallville (before it got ridiculous). This is fine because Smallville is a fantastic show and making fun of the "Meteor Freak of the Week" is a great pastime, but I hear the same 30 second clip of this song 5 times a day, including RJ's god-awful rendition of it. When you get to the chorus of the track (if you don't already know what I'm talking about), you'll understand why its headache inducing after the third time.
Remy Zero - Save Me (Theme From Smallville) [iTunes]
Speaking of annoying songs, let me make perfectly clear how much I hated Weezer's most recent record. It was just atrocious. Whether Rivers Cuomo was trying to be serious or not is irrelevant; the music was flat out terrible. But alas, "Troublemaker" came on the radio a few weeks back and got infected in all our brains, and thanks to RJs love for making mischief, it sort of became the de facto theme song for my apartment. And in a twisted sort of way, I'm OK with this.
Weezer - Troublemaker [iTunes]
Roommate #2 goes by the name of Helen and as a general rule I hear this song about 6 times a day coming from her room. Number of times I've complained = 0
Metro Station - Shake It [iTunes]
Lastly we've got Gary, the true theatre kid in among us. Dude's musical taste begins and ends with musical theatre. This is far less irritating than most of my readers would think. Dude's also playing the Meat Loaf character in Arcadia's Rocky Horror Show this October.
If I had any musical theatre in my savefile archive, it'd be here. Sorry Gary!
Oh, and the Mets lost today, squeezing themselves out of the playoffs again. Right now there's a 19 year old college student wondering if the Mets will ever win a World Series in his lifetime. The true satisfaction in this rests in the fact that a 7-year-old Yankees fan wonders the same thing about his beloved team.
Daniel Powter - Bad Day [iTunes]
That's it for now. Another post coming right behind this one.

No comments:
Post a Comment