I've been fiddling around with iTunes and last.fm a lot in the last few days, trying to stretch its limits in the name of getting cooler content from it which could in turn give cooler stuff to this very blog. Haven't had too much success, but gonna post it anyway and see if someone has a genius solution.
I've been trying to find a way to make iTunes give me a weekly chart; that is, I want iTunes to tell me what songs I played most frequently in the span of a week or a month. It'll tell me my all time most played and it'll tell me what I played in the last week, but I can't get it to combine the two in the way I want it to. Easiest way to do this would in theory be a smart playlist, but the parameters for that are limited and can't do it. Went searching on various forums and the like to see if anyone's figured it out...no luck. The best anyone suggested was last.fm, but their system is at best flawed; it told me I listened to Paramore's version of "My Hero" 11 times in one week, but it failed to acknowledge that 10 of those 11 times were actually in the same 3 minute period and thus was only 1 listen. All the other patches and such haven't worked either.
Paramore - My Hero [iTunes] (via YouSendit)
[and now SaveFile is on the fritz...why is nothing working?]
(One more thing about last.fm: has anyone else noticed that it's not scrobbling everything that gets played? Last night I played through the entire new 3 Doors Down album, but it only scrobbled 4 of the 12 tracks. Anyone else notice this problem?)
I'm also trying to fill in all the blanks for the info on all my songs, ie year, genre, etc. I've gotten all the years down, save for the weird stuff (TV themes, drumline stuff), but I'm finding genre to be an issue because there are too many options. Wondering if anyone has any way to make that job easier.
And lastly because as I type this my brother is IMing me about it, my bro's computer crashed and he's trying to get iTunes to work again. iTunes still thinks that his computer pre-crash is authorized to play stuff, and when he authorizes it now, its counting it as a second computer (I hope that makes sense to someone besides me). I told him to contact Apple and make them fix it, but if whoever reads this knows something we don't, drop a comment and you'd have both our thanks.
Expect a review of that 3 Doors Down album next week, as well as a follow-up on one of my Under the Radar bands.
==TJ==

2 comments:
interesting - I haven't had those problems with last.fm - and I really enjoy seeing via last, how it stacks up, statistically.
I caught 3 Doors Down over the weekend at Rock on the Range - first time in many years, and I really enjoyed seeing em again.
I've never had any problems with Last.fm, maybe your scrobbling is messed up. But yeah, Last would be your best bet. It's a fun community as well; find users with similar music, find similar artists, and keep updated on gigs. I swear, Last.fm doesn't sign my checks. Though I'd give you the recommendation.
-Drew
Post a Comment