Saturday, August 2, 2008

Virgin Music Festival: Day One

Exactly one week from today I'm going to be in Baltimore, taking in copious amounts of sun and awesome music at the Virgin Music Festival. My blogging comrade Matt from Addicted to Vinyl procured an extra set of tickets, so I'll be joining him and his friends down there for a weekend of kickassitude. The schedule of events went up a couple days ago, so I've begun filling my dance card of what I'm gonna be seeing for the two days. Today I'll be sharing with you Saturday's lineup, while tomorrow I'll bring you Sunday's. Keep in mind both lists are subject to when I get into Baltimore and what time I have to go to make it back to Philly in time, but you'll get the picture. For the record I'm more or less ignoring the Dance Tent, since I don't particularly care about anyone who'll be there.

KT Tunstall vs. Cat Power
My knowledge of Cat Power begins with the songs from V for Vendetta and ends with the fact that indie blogs love her. I’ve actually heard KT Tunstall’s earlier stuff and am lukewarm on it, but I think a live show is a good start to see what the big deal is
Advantage:
Slight edge to KT Tunstall, though someone with a good argument otherwise is welcome to dissuade me.

Duffy v. Gogol Bordello

Duffy’s album is still growing on me, while Gogol Bordello has yet to truly amaze me. It’s kinda cool, but perhaps just a bit too weird for my liking.

Advantage: Duffy

The Swell Season vs. Lupe Fiasco

I picked up both Lupe Fiasco albums for the sole purpose of knowing he’d be at this concert. I’m still playing “Superstar” pretty regularly despite it’s age. I hadn’t heard of The Swell Season, but upon further review, it appears to be Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova from Once. I think my vote might be changing here

Advantage: Right now? Push. I’m probably going to decide this one when I get there. I think Lupe might be a fun show, but if The Swell Season are indeed the folks from Once, this could get messy.

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings vs. Bloc Party

What I hear of Bloc Party is kinda cool, but I’ve never been inspired to listen to a full album. But given that I’ve never heard of Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings before, I think this one’s set. The Dap-Kings stuff I’m hearing on the iTunes previews reminds me too much of Duffy, too.

Advantage: Bloc Party

Rodrigo y Gabriela vs. The Offspring

And here we have another dilemma. Offspring have immediate name and song recognition in their favor. But odds are they’ll be playing stuff from the new album, which is not such a good pick. I like what I hear from Rodrigo y Gabriela, and it sounds like it’d be a definite change of pace from the current look of my lineup. Since I’ll be seeing some decent punk rock on Sunday, I may well take a pass on Offspring if I get a good word on Rodrigo y Gabriela

Advantage: For now I’m gonna stick with the Offspring, but that’s in no way a definite.

Wilco vs. Chuck Berry & The Silver Beats

Wilco is supposed to be pretty good, but since my former roommate would never stop singing their praises (and I hated my former roommate’s taste in music), they’re losing points here. Plus, it’s friggin’ Chuck Berry. Passing on this is like saying I’m planning to see Stone Temple Pilots over Bob Dylan…wait…oops.

Advantage: Probably Chuck Berry

Foo Fighters vs. Jack Johnson

Oh, come on. Are you seriously asking this?

Advantage: I’m gonna go ahead and surprise everyone here and say Foo Fighters.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Swell Season are indeed the duo from once! They're absolutely fantastic live, so if you liked the movie, I think you'd definitely regret missing them!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3h164MZyh8Y

Anonymous said...

http://www.theswellseason.com/

Patrick Daniel O'Neill said...

Given Chuck Berry's age, you would indeed be crazy not to take this chance to see him live. Another few years and you might be kicking yourself for missing it.

Scott said...

Hey, cool blog.

And Rodrigo y Gabriela are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Look up some of their live stuff on youtube.